1. I missed the YAPC::NA conference due to "degenerative disc disease". The short story is the pads in between my vertebrae are going away slowly, so I have to get on the physical therapy stat!
2. Rakudo * is out!! Woooo!!!
3. Why are people hammering Rakudo * for it's speed? It's still faster than Java when it first came out (and I remember those dark days ::shudder::). They clearly stated that nobody had bothered optimizing anything in the code. It makes me sad that people are going to be hurt by these other blogs. I hope they keep their spirits up. Whether they realize it or not, they are the giants, the shoulders that we stand upon.
4. I REALLY hope that the Parrot and Rakudo teams don't take their eyes off the ball because of these stupid speed posts. You only really get one "chance" to get all this right (unless we're talking about Perl 7). I'd rather them take another year to finalize the language specification than rush off to start pouring cement into what they have as a reaction to some blog posts.
5. I am preparing the mother of all XS posts. I'll probably post it on perlmonks as well, since I had some conversations with some people on the chatterbox. I have a bad feeling it will not be received as well as I hope it will (I'm a little critical), but after fighting, learning, and getting nowhere for weekss before catching a few breaks, I think my story is worth reading.